Barging through the Netherlands - Part 15

Read this travel blog from the start on - this link.
Stowing our kitchenware before heading to the IJsselmeer

Or start here.

We took a stroll and looked at a few private marinas. Some of them have gyms, saunas, luxurious bathrooms with unlimited hot water, high speed Internet, cafes and bars right on your boat doorstep. You pay more for all that. We desperately needed to do some washing so we decided on the first marina as it had a washing machine and Internet.But first we had to get there.

Greenie in gale force winds
We snuck onto the edge of the IJsselmeer via Lemstersluis. It's incredible, the minute you move off the inland waterways into wide water and closer to the sea, the weather conditions change. We made sure to check the forecast first. Although the IJsslemeer is now a lake, it was once the Zuider Zee. The water can get quite rough. Our boat was rolling back and forth as force four winds blew behind us with wave heights of 1.2 metres.

I had hoped we would spend more time on the IJsselmeer but my other half wasn't willing to chance it. We made sure to stow our glassware and breakables safely before we got going.

At the new marina a couple crashed their hired yacht into the posts of their mooring. They were quite obviously inexperienced. The wind was dragging and spinning their boat and they had no idea what to do. The harbour master
Trying to dry our clothing
came and guided them alongside. They made at least 5 or 6 attempts while my husband and the harbour master held their boat ropes and eased their boat in. No wonder boat hire companies require such hefty deposits!

We got going with the first of three loads of washing only to discover the marina had no dryer! And no washing powder. That was a
Greenie after slamming finger in hatch
first. It was too late to move. We walked to Lemmer beach to kill time. And then the rain came down. It rained and rained and rained. We had to make washing lines at the back and inside the boat. There was washing all over the place. We were ducking to move around our boat.
The view from a cafe in Lemmer


We don't shave or wash our hair on the boat as it has a micro fine filter that clogs easily. If the filter blocks up then our shower water can't drain. The filter is probably there because the boat pumps water out as opposed to water draining.

Sunset en route to Emmeloord
So we have use a marina shower every other day. Anyone who thinks boating is glamorous is either an oligarch or good friends with the likes of Bill Gates et al. Ordinary, everyday boating is not always comfortable.

I was feeling a right mess. My hair was due for a wash, my hands were rough and dry from rope work, my front tooth had chipped, my finger nail was blue from slamming it in a hatch, my clothes were creased or wet, I had bruises on my legs and I looked like I had measles from mosquito bites ALL OVER my body. Plus, I reeked of garlic from munching whole cloves at every meal to deter the
Catching up with Internet in Lemmer
mozzies from devouring me.

The last time I wore smart clothes and make-up was a while back. On the boat I live in tracksuit bottoms, T-Shirts, a windbreaker, a peak hat and light soled slip-on canvas shoes. The closest I get to grooming is brushing my teeth and putting on sunscreen. Our boat is big compared to others but the portholes are small and lighting is poor. And there really is no space. It's not uncommon to see people brushing their teeth on the back of their boat, rinsing from a bottle of water and spitting overboard.

My husband cooked a vegan cauliflower cheeze with soy mince in a yummy tomato gravy. And he got the heating going on our boat. We spent the evening relaxing, paying bills and catching up with communications while we had Internet.

More on this trip - on this link.

Go to - My Holidays and Trips - at the top of this page to read about other places we have visited. Or just click on - this link.

Labels: , ,