Part 1 - of this series covers a walking tour of Aberdeen city and shopping. Part 2 - is about the highland tourist route and driving. Last week in - Part 3 - I spoke about our road trip via Royal Deeside and the Cairngorms National Park to Edinburgh.
|Royal Mile Edinburgh|
- Start walking down the Royal Mile plus museums along the way such as The People's Museum.
- Holyrood Palace, Scottish parliament and Dynamic Earth Centre at the bottom of Royal Mile. .
- Elephant house on George IV Bridge where Harry Potter was written for a quick bite, Greyfriars Kirk, and down Candlemakers Row to Grassmarket area.
- Edinburgh Castle and down to Princes Street Gardens.
- Finally Charlotte Square, a UNESCO site and we wandered back along Princes, George and Rose Street. We had a late lunch at Henderson's, a vegetarian restaurant in Hanover street.
mustered up more energy to go for a run up Calton Hill. I have walked it before and highly recommend it for breathtaking views across the city. I was just too tired to join him.
|Elephant House where Harry Potter was written|
The next day wasn't even half a day as my friend flew out at 11.05am and had to be at Edinburgh Airport with time in hand. The lengthy queues at the check-in counter meant he grabbed a coffee and sandwich and the next thing he was gone!
predictable and pretty. Glasgow is sassy. I love, love the vibrant and loud art and music scene in Glasgow. The architecture is full of Charles Rennie Macintosh art deco influences. There is a disproportionate amount of fun going on in Glasgow.
Although Scotland is part of the United Kingdom they have their own parliament, their own currency and their school and work holidays are not the same as those in England. It's cheaper to hire a car from Scotland than from England. We've used Enterprise Car Hire so many times and have been happy with their service. Just make sure you triple check the car for chips and chinks coz if they find any when you return the car, you are liable for them.
|Princes Street Gardens|
Go to - My Holidays and Trips - at the top of this page to read about other places we have visited. Or just click on - this link.