Greenie on the move

Frosted window pane
I left South Africa a week ago and spent a few days in London. From there, my other half and I did a mini road trip to Scotland. It's mid summer back in South Africa and of course mid winter in the UK. The contrast is sharp.

South Africa never really gets that cold. There are places that get cold, but they are remote and sparsely inhabited. Snow in our cities would be front page news.

I don't possess the sort of clothes that people from cold countries wear. Instead I am putting on just about every item of clothing I brought with me. Wearing all this clothing is so freaking heavy.

Frost covered garden
Salt/grit bins, snow poles, clip on ice grips for shoes, ice scrapers for car windows, bum warmers in a car and many other things people in the UK consider normal simply don't exist in South Africa.

I always though ear muffs were daft things. Now I totally understand why people wear them. I wish they could come up with something to keep my nose warm other than wrapping a scarf around my face.

Back in South Africa they have been having a heatwave. Places like Riebeek Kasteel have apparently had temperatures in the upper forties touching 50'C. Yikes! Riebeek valley tourism.

For more on Scotland follow these links - Scotland Part One and Scotland Part Two.

Go to - My Holidays and Trips - at the top of this page to read about other places we have visited. Or just click on - this link.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,