Garden Route South Africa and getting about

Garden Route steps leading to beach
The Garden Route is a popular holiday and retirement destination. Coming from Cape Town, it begins around Albertinia which is a tiny and not too exciting place. Give it a miss. The first coastal town is Mossel Bay (Mussel Bay). Mossel Bay is hardly a town. It is a big place and the road passes through the outskirts of it.

The other end of the Garden Route is at the Storms River Mouth. Place names like Natures Valley and Lake Pleasant give a clue to the beauty that this area holds. A mix of lakes, lagoons, estuaries, rivers, forests and mountains are what make it such an attractive place.

Dwarf and mini horses for kids to stroke. This is Henry.
You can get there by hiring a car and driving. Visit these links for price comparisons of the various car hire companies in South Africa - option 1 and option 2 and lastly option 3. The roads have recently been re-done and long queues seem to be over for the most part. The views along the way are special.

Bus companies to consider are Baz bus which is a hop-on hop-off bus. Links to other inter city coach bus operators are IntercapeGreyhound and Translux.

Maybe you might like to do a motorbike trip through the Garden Route? Follow these links - MotoBerlin and AdMo. Have yourself a Harley holiday.

Garden Route sand and castles
I would be wary of the intercity trains. I read the local news and I don't feel I can recommend them. The Blue Train or a special train is fine.

There are organised cycle tours. I have included a link for those who would relish a chance to sit on a saddle and cycle - mountain biking in South Africa.

I would strongly discourage anyone from hitch hiking in South Africa. And I'm not sure I would couch surf either. I know of people who have done some couch surfing in SA, and maybe it's just me, I don't like to take that sort of risk.

Go to - My Holidays and Trips - at the top of this page to read about other places we have visited. Or just click on - this link.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,