Rugby Super 14 Newlands Stadium

Green Point Stadium is not the only stadium in Cape Town. Other big stadiums are Athlone Stadium, Liesbeek Park and Newlands Stadium - in the picture. The smaller ones I won't bother to mention.

Sport is a religion in South Africa. I have been taken to task for having a blog dedicated to the 2010 Soccer Cup and failing to mention we have huge support for other sports. This Saturday evening, as part of the Rugby Super 14 series, the Blue Bulls played the Crusaders at Orlando Stadium in Soweto and won 39 - 24.

The match in the picture is our local rugby team, The Stormers, playing the Waratahs at Newlands Stadium. Our boys won 25 - 6. I am told the crowd was approximately 46 000. I recall the Rugby World Cup in South Africa and that iconic moment when Nelson Mandela stepped out in a rugby shirt. It brought us together in a nano-second. We were one nation. One team. I hope our soccer players will make us proud.
Picture courtesy of P. Gillespie


Click here for more on Cape Town.

Go to - My Holidays and Trips - at the top of this page to read about other places we have visited. Or just click on - this link.




Labels: , , , , , , , ,